Graduate Admissions FAQ

Please click here for FAQs related to the Covid-19 pandemic.


What are the entry requirements?

Please see all Graduate degree entrance requirements here.


Do I need to be on campus before classes start?

Please be prepared to arrive at Webster Vienna at least one week before classes start (week 0) for the housing check-in and New Student Orientation.

If you would like to find detailed information about campus housing, please visit our housing page.

The New Student Orientation (NSO) is mandatory for all incoming students and scheduled during week 0. You will meet all fellow students, receive information about Webster Vienna and sign up for your individual appointment with your academic advisor in order to register for classes. To find out the schedule for the NSO, please visit our NSO page.

Please arrange your transportation accordingly since all students have to arrive in week 0 in order to start classes in week 1.


What are the English language requirements?

In order to qualify for any of Webster University's academic programs, a minimum level of English proficiency is required. To learn more about our language requirements and how to ensure you meet them, please click here.


Do I need a visa to study at WVPU?

Citizens of countries outside of the EU / EEA will need a student residence permit. Please visit our Visa Information page for more information


What are the entry dates?

MA in Counseling Psychology and MA in International Relations: two starting terms per year: Fall I (August) or Spring I (January). One introductory course in MA in International Relations may be offered in Fall II (October). If students have visa issues, we can look into individual cases to see which upcoming starting term is available.

MBA, MSc in Finance and MSc in Marketing: only Fall I Term (August) entry for new students

All MBA students are expected to have at least 2 years of relevant work experience. To find out more, please refer to the application information on our Graduate Admissions page.


Does Webster Vienna offer support for special needs or disabilities?

If you have certain health conditions e.g. learning disabilities, dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, blind or low vision, deaf and hearing loss, and/or other disabilities, please let us know right away so we can assess the situation to find out how we can best accommodate your needs. The earlier we know, the better we can support you. We have procedures in place, so please send us an email about the history of your situation (including any documentation of a psychologist or medical doctor). We are looking forward to working together with you!

Enrolled students who are experiencing emotional or learning difficulties can be assessed using Webster's free psychological testing service.


What is GPA and what does having a minimum 2.5 GPA mean?

GPA stands for “grade point average” and is calculated on a 4.0 scale. Admissions officers convert international grades into the US standard GPA. Please see an example of a conversion chart below:

Over a 100% scale Average of 80% or higher
Over an A-F scale Average of a B or higher


Can I transfer my current university credits? How long does it take?

If you are currently attending an accredited university or have attended an accredited university, it may be possible to receive a limited number of transfer credits from your graduate courses with a grade of "B" or above. You will have to provide us with the original transcript with final grades, course descriptions, and if necessary, course syllabi. Transcripts from other universities are evaluated by our international credentials specialist in St. Louis and can take a few weeks to be processed.

How can I provide my original transcripts?

The following are various ways of providing your original transcripts: You can send us your transcript per postal services. You can have your school send your transcripts to us per postal services. You can have your school send us a PDF transcript encrypted with a password. You can bring them to us in person.

What are original/official transcripts?

We require the verification of your original transcript, meaning no scans or copies, but rather the original physical document or an original digital document sent directly from your school. All transcripts must show the graduation or program completion date.


How many courses can I take per term?

You may take a maximum of 2 courses per term (8 weeks) or 4 courses per semester (16 weeks / 2 terms).


Which courses can I take?

A list of available courses for the upcoming terms and semester can be found here.


Do I need to take an entrance exam?

There are no entrance exam requirements. However, some programs require prerequisite courses, which may be waived if students take waiver exams and achieve the minimum required score in their bachelor's degree course equivalents. Please find individual prerequisite requirements below:


What should the topic of my essay be?

Your essay should be a minimum of 600 words and written on the topic listed under your preferred program, found here.


Do I need to take an English proficiency exam?

Yes, graduate level applicants must display a proficiency in English by sending us the results to one of our recognized English language exams. Accepted exams for admission include a TOEFL with a minimum score of 80, an IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5 overall, or a Cambridge Advanced Certificate.

  • TOEFL iBT - min. overall score of 80
  • IELTS Academic - min. overall score of 6.5
  • Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE only) - score A or B
  • Pearson or PTE Academic - min. score of 53


I went to an English speaking university / I hold an American passport. Can I have the English requirement waived?

Yes, citizens of English speaking countries (including but not limited to: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales) may have the English requirement waived.

You may also have the English requirement waived if you completed at least one year of college-level coursework at a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning whose primary language of instruction is English.


Do I need to send in my Resume/CV?

Yes, with the most up-to-date work experience and references.