Undergraduate Admissions FAQ

Click here for FAQs related to the Covid-19 pandemic and adjusted requirements.


  • When and how do I apply?

First-time freshman students are encouraged to begin their studies with the Fall I (August) and Spring I (January) terms especially since semester courses only begin in August or January. However, if classes are available, freshman students are welcome to start with our Fall 2 term on a part-time basis where 2-3 "term" courses (8 weeks) may be completed. First-time freshman students may not start in the Summer term.

Should a student run into visa issues and cannot start his/her studies on time, the starting term will be deferred to the next upcoming term if classes are available. Please check with your Admissions Officer if you have any questions or concerns about deferrals.

To learn more about the application deadlines, steps, and required application documents for Bachelor's degree programs, please visit our Undergraduate application webpage.


  • Do I need to take an English proficiency exam?

Yes, undergraduate level applicants must display good proficiency in English by sending us the results to one of our recognized English language exams.
TOEFL iBT - min. overall score of 80
IELTS Academic - min. overall score of 6.0
Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE only) - score A, B, C

Click here for list of all acceptable tests and minimum scores


  • Do I need to take an entrance exam?

There are no entrance exam requirements. An interview with the head of the academic department may be requested.


  • What should the topic of my essay be?

Your essay should be a minimum of 300 words long, and can be written on one of our suggested topics as shown here.


  • I attended an English-only high school / I hold an American passport. Can I have the English requirement waived?

Yes, English may be waived when the applicant is a citizen or has attended within the last three years an institution (and must submit high school transcripts for verification) in one of the following countries:

Antigua and Barbuda
The Bahamas
Canada (except Quebec)
New Zealand
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales)

OR the applicant provides proof of completion of at least one academic year of college-level coursework conducted in English at a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning (ESL coursework does not qualify towards the one full year exception).


  • Do I need to send in my SAT or ACT exams?

No, but we do encourage it. It could help strengthen your application overall.


  • Do I need a visa to study at WVPU?

Citizens from countries outside of the EU / EEA will need a student residence permit. Please visit our Visa Information webpage for more information.


  • Can I transfer my AP, IB or GCE credits? How long does it take?

It is possible to receive advanced standing credits from your courses. You will have to provide us with the original transcript. You or your school can either mail your original transcripts to our mailing address:

Webster Vienna Private University
Admissions Office
Palais Wenkheim, Praterstrasse 23
A-1020 Vienna

You may also bring your original transcripts and diploma in person to our admissions team. Transcripts sent via e-mail are not considered official unless sent directly from the school / institution that issued it. Official transcripts sent by school officials may be sent to: admissions[at]webster.ac.at

Courses are evaluated by our international credentials specialist in St. Louis and can take a few weeks to be processed.


  • Do I need to be on campus before classes start?

Please be prepared to arrive at Webster Vienna at least one week before classes start (week 0) due to housing check-in and New Student Orientation.

If you would like to find detailed information about housing options, please visit our housing page.

The New Student Orientation (NSO) is mandatory for all incoming students and scheduled during week 0. You will meet all fellow students, receive information about Webster Vienna and sign up for your individual appointment with your academic advisor in order to register for classes. To find out the schedule for the NSO, please visit our NSO page.

Please arrange your transportation accordingly since all students have to arrive in week 0 in order to start classes in week 1.


  • Does Webster Vienna offer support for special needs or disabilities?

If you have certain health conditions e.g. learning disabilities, dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, blindness or low vision, hearing loss, and/or other disabilities, please let us know right away so we can assess the situation to find out how we can best accommodate your needs. The earlier we know, the better we can support you. We have procedures in place so please send us an email about the history of your situation (including any documentation of a psychologist or medical doctor). We are looking forward to working together with you!

Enrolled students who are experiencing emotional or learning difficulties can be assessed using Webster's psychological testing service.


  • How can I submit my original transcripts?

The following are various ways of providing your original transcripts:

  • You can send us your transcript with graduation date per postal services.
  • You can have your school send your transcripts with graduation date to us per postal services.
  • You can have your school send us a PDF transcript with graduation date encrypted with a password.
  • You can personally bring the original documents to the Admissions Office (first floor, room 0.10) during the NSO or beginning of term.
  • What is a GPA and what does having a minimum 2.5 GPA mean?

GPA stands for “grade point average” and is calculated on a 4.0 scale. Our admissions department converts international grades into the US standard GPA. Please see an example of a conversion chart below:

International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Between 25-30 points
GCSE's 5 GCSE's with a C or higher
A/ As Levels 3 A levels with a C or higher
Over a 100% scale Average of 80% or higher
Over an A-F scale Average of a B or higher


  • What are considered "original, official" transcripts?

We require the verification of your original transcript, meaning no scans or copies, but rather the original physical document or an original digital document sent directly from your school.


  • How many courses can I take per semester?

We suggest between 4 and 6 courses per semester, with a full time student generally ranging between 5 and 6 courses.


  • Which courses can I take?

A list of available courses for the upcoming terms and semester can be found here.


  • Do I need to send in my Resume/CV?

No, but if you have one including extra-curricular activities, it could help strengthen your application.


  • How long will it take to graduate with a bachelor's degree?

A bachelor’s degree consists of 120 US credits. Most students complete 30 US credits per academic year, in which case they need 4 years to complete their bachelor's degree. However, Webster University may award advanced standing credits for a variety of international and European state examinations, including International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma exams, GCE / A-Level exams, Advanced Placement examinations (AP), Austrian Zentral Matura, Abitur, etc.