Tax Information | Webster University

Tax Information

All F-1 and J-1 international students who entered the United States on or before December 31 of any given year are required to file certain tax forms with the federal government in the following spring, even if they didn’t have any income during that tax year. Additionally, students who received certain taxable income (such as wages, and some scholarships) in a given year must file income tax return with the federal government and the state in which they are located in the following spring.

Some international students are eligible for certain exemptions from federal income tax withholding on wages because of tax treaties. If you are working on-campus and your country has a tax treaty with the United States you should file Form 8233 with the payroll office to claim such tax treaty exemptions.

The Multicultural Center and International Student Affairs (MCISA) conducts several tax workshops in the spring (March & April) to assist international students at Webster University, St. Louis campus file their income taxes in order to be in compliance with U.S. tax laws. However, filing federal income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student and scholar. For additional information please visit the MCISA Tax Resources page.

The information contained on this website is meant to help Webster University international students grasp some basics of U.S. tax law. For further knowledge of the U.S. tax system please visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), International Taxpayer page.