J-1 Employment | Webster University

J-1 Employment

Those who are at Webster on the J-1 visa have two opportunities for employment:

On-Campus Employment
Academic Training


On-Campus Employment

J-1 students are eligible to work on-campus. However, on-campus employment must be performed on the school's premises, at commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as the school’s bookstore or cafeteria or at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with Webster University. Common places students find employment on campus are Reeg Academic Resource Center, Library, Office of Admission, Campus Activities, and Housing.

On-campus employment is only limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and full-time when school is not in session or during the student’s annual vacation or official university breaks.

J-1 students from other institutions concurrently enrolled at Webster University are not permitted to work on campus at Webster University, unless they are authorized by their institutions to do practical training.  

The Student Employment Office monitors the number of hours each student worked per week and may freeze a student’s payroll account if it is determined that a student is working more than 20 hours per week. Failure to follow the rules may lead to termination of the student’s DS-2019 in SEVIS.

 Who is Eligible to Work on Campus?

The following students are eligible to work on-campus without special permission from International Recruitment & International Services or from U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS):  

  • Any J-1 student in valid status with Webster University DS-2019.
  • A J-1 student transfer student whose SEVIS record has been released to Webster University.
  • A current J-1 student who is admitted to begin a new program of study.

 Who is not Eligible to Work on Campus?

  •  A student who is “out of status”. A student can resume employment if he/she has been reinstated to student status.
  • A J-1 student who has already graduated and is now in his/her grace period, except those who obtained academic training.

Academic Training (for J-1 Students)


Academic training (AT) is a type of study-related employment for J-1 exchange students who want to participate in temporary employment related to their field of studies. The employment can be done while the student is pursuing studies or within 30 days following completion of studies. It allows a J-1 student to work part-time while classes are in session and full-time during vacation periods and full-time after completion of studies.

Academic training may be: (1) Paid or unpaid (2) Full-time or part-time (3) Done during your studies or; after the completion of studies (beginning no later than 30 days after the completion of studies).


  1. You are primarily in the United States to study rather than to engage in academic training.
  2. You are in good academic standing at the time of participation.
  3. You are participating in academic training that is directly related to your major field of study listed on your Form DS-2019.
  4. You have received a written approval in advance from both your academic advisor and the responsible officer in the International Recruitment and International Services office.

 Time Limitations

  • Undergraduate and graduate students can do academic training for a maximum of 18 months.
  • Doctoral students can do academic training initially for 18 months and may be granted an extension of additional 18 months to a maximum of 36 months.
  • Non-degree students can do it for a maximum of 12 months.

Application Procedure

Step 1: Obtain a job offer letter from your employer on the company’s letterhead that includes the following information: (1) Name of company (2) Location of academic training (3) Number of work hours per week (4) Beginning and ending dates of the training.

Step 2: Complete Part I of the Academic Training Recommendation Form and request that your faculty advisor or internship coordinator complete Part II of the form.

 Step 3: Submit all of the above documents for approval to the International Recruitment and International Services office.

Step 4: If the academic training is approved, the international student advisor will provide you with a new DS-2019containing your academic training authorization and approval letter. Your employer will need these documents.